Traditional media vs. digital media: who’s winning the battle?
Earlier this month, our article “Online Media Outlets: Web 2.0 losers?” spoke of the current upheaval in the news industry as traditional media sources battle to reinvent themselves and engage the digital generation. While it’s clear that more people than ever are turning to online media sources to keep up to date with the latest news, not all countries have embraced digital in the same way, or at the same speed.
The first Reuters Institute Digital Survey, released at the beginning of July, analyses news consumption and consumer behavior in five countries: the UK, USA, Denmark, France and Germany. The results of this research carried out by YouGov, show clear differences in media consumption and usage between each of the countries surveyed.
Germany remains loyal to printed media
One of the key issues in the traditional media vs. social media debate is the switch from a physical, printed document to a digital reading experience. The results of the study show that of the five countries surveyed, Germany holds the greatest attachment to printed media. 68% of the Germans surveyed said that they had read a newspaper or magazine within the last week. This is compared with 45% for the USA and 54% for the UK.
The report suggests that regional governmental support for printed media and restrictions on internet activity mean that the country has been slower to adopt digital media. Both the figures and the social situation are in stark contrast with the English-speaking media world that has long pioneered innovative digital news platforms such as BBC News and The Huffington Post.
Social media as a news source: USA leads the way
Figures from the study show that the USA leads the way when it comes to social media, blogs, and aggregators as news sources. 41% of those surveyed in the USA used social media as a news source, followed by 30% in Germany, 28% in Denmark, 22% in the UK and 21% in France.
Why such low figures for the UK? The study cites the fact that traditional media brands like The Guardian were quick to integrate innovative techniques such as blogging and social media, with the result being that other news sources were edged out from the very start of the digital media wave.
The Reuters Institute hopes that this survey will continue annually as a means of internationally benchmarking media consumption habits. There is no doubt that the next few years will be critical for determining the future of traditional media sources and their relevance in the digital age. It remains to be seen if online media will be adopted as a preferred source throughout the world and if new providers and sources emerge from countries where digital media platforms already have a stronghold.
Photo credit: jfingas
by admin on July 31, 2012
- ‘Les Pigeons’ catches Anglo press’ eye
- LinkedIn, the new Eldorado of corporate communication?
- Facebook-less? You’re a psycho
Most read posts
- Christopher Le Coq joins The Roxane Company
- Job offer: freelance social media consultant
- Facebook-less? You're a psycho
- Le desktop, média préféré en navigation travel, mais c'est le mobile qui génère le plus grand taux de croissance : http://t.co/WfOPE9iLGK
- Zhisland, le Facebook à un ticket d'entrée de 3K€+, relie les billionaires chinois dans un cercle privé et vertueux : http://t.co/Nm8CVDRitk
- RT @brandrepublic: 40% of children on social networks are pretending to be 18 or over http://t.co/4A0vsC9go4 via @MarketingUK
- Les 10 facettes de l'économie collaborative : http://t.co/sTDJmbur1l #tendances #ConsoCollab #share
- The best Solution : Leave the PLO, Hamas and Hezbollah along. When they hit Israel? Israel will hit them back three times as Re…
- Superb blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on …
- Hello, I wiѕh for tto subscribe fοr thiѕ wweb site tο tаke newеst updates, ѕo wherе can i do it plpease help out.
- where to buy cheap michael kors bags? (cheap michael kors outlet: http://tinyurl.com/n275u3x)
- Resources like thee one particular you talked about right here wilkl probably be very useful to me! I will post a link to this pa…